This tutorial will guide you on how to Turn Off Trending Searches on Google Apps, Windows 10/11, Android, iPhone, etc:
Searching for anything has never been easy until Google. However, the Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence also turned it complicated.
Now even before you start typing words into the search bar, Google starts suggesting what other people are looking for, and sometimes that makes you forget what you were going to search for. Although sometimes the suggestions are quirky and hilarious, they can be annoying as well.
So, the solution is to turn off Google’s trending searches and autocomplete them on the browser.
Next, we will tell you how to remove trending searches from Google and how they work.
What You Will Learn:
- How Do Trending Searches Work
- How to Get Rid of Trending Searches – 4 Ways
- Can’t Remove Trending Searches? Here’s What to Do
- Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Trending Searches Work
Just like any business, Google aims to offer the best experience for its users. That’s why it keeps improving the search journey of its users, and trending search suggestions and autocomplete are its way of doing just that. In addition, it will save you time and effort if Google can predict your search correctly. But how?
Here’s how. Google trends collect data from Global Google searches and calculate the frequency of searches across different geographical regions and languages. It can track short-term trends and real-time events. It uses trends to predict your searches based on everyone else’s search.
Why Delete Trending Searches
Sometimes these suggestions come in useful. However, at times, they can be really annoying. Also, turning them off can make browsing a little private. Google tracks the online activities of its users across devices and platforms like the things you search, websites you visit, things you buy, etc.
Various companies use this data to sell their products and services to you depending on your liking, shopping patterns, and predicted lifestyle. If you want to keep your web browsing private, turn off trending searches.
How to Get Rid of Trending Searches – 4 Ways
Here are a few ways to remove trending searches:
#1) On Google App
- Open the Google App.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Toggle off the button beside Autocomplete with trending searches.
#2) On Windows 10/11
Here’s how to remove trending searches on Google on Windows 10 and 11:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Type Google.com in the search bar.
- Hit enter.
- On the Google page, click on the Settings option at the bottom.
- Select Search Settings.
- Go to ‘Auto-complete with trending searches’ option.
- Select Do not show popular searches.
- Click on Save.
#3) On Android, iPhone, or Tablet
Here’s how to delete trending searches on Android, iPhone, or Tablet:
- Launch your mobile browser.
- Go to Google.com.
- Access the menu by tapping on the three-line icon at the top left corner.
- Go to the Settings option.
- Find the Autocomplete with trending search options.
- Check on the Do not show popular searches option.
- Click Save.
#4) Using Incognito Mode
Usually, browsing incognito means no trending searches. However, sometimes Incognito mode also stores the searches and gives you suggestions. If that happens, you can turn off the suggestions here as well.
Here’s how to remove trending searches in Google’s Incognito mode:
- Press CTRL+Shift+N to launch Incognito mode, or click on the three vertical dots and select Incognito.
- Type Google.com in the search bar and hit enter.
- Go to the Settings option at the bottom.
- Select Search Settings.
- Go to the Auto-complete with trending searches option.
- Click on the Do not show popular searches option.
Can’t Remove Trending Searches? Here’s What to Do
We have received complaints from many of our readers that they can’t seem to turn off trending searches.
Here’s how to turn off trending searches when the usual trick wouldn’t work:
#1) Reboot your Browser
Sometimes it takes rebooting the browser to make it understand you have made some changes to it. Change the settings, close your browser, wait for a few seconds, refresh your desktop, and launch it again. See if it works. If the settings are still turned on, try changing it again.
Suggested Reading =>> Top 10 Browsers for PC
#2) Block Search Cookies
If you are still having trouble, you can block search cookies to remove trending searches.
- Open a new tab.
- Type the address Chrome://settings/syncSetup?search=autocomplete+searches+and+urls
- Find the option for Autocomplete searches and URLs.
- Disable it.
- Restart your browser.
If the trending searches are still showing up,
- Open a new tab.
- Type chrome://flags
- Search for Omnibox Trending Zero Prefix Suggestions
- Disable it.
- Click on Relaunch.
#3) Update Chrome and Clear the Cache
Sometimes, when you haven’t updated your Chrome, it might cause various issues like you not being able to delete trending searches.
- Open your Chrome and click on the three vertical dots.
- Go to the Help option.
- Click on About Google Chrome.
- Check for updates, and if there are updates, click on Update Now.
- Relaunch Chrome.
- Click on the three dots again.
- Select History.
- Click on Clear Browsing Data.
- Select All Time from the Time Range option.
- Click on Clear Cookies and Caches.
- Click on Clear Data.
Also Read =>> Different methods to Clear Cache in browsers
#4) Reset Chrome
If nothing is working, you can try resetting your browser to the original settings to see if you can get rid of trending searches after that.
- Click on the three dots for the menu dropdown options.
- Click on Settings.
- Select Advanced from the right-hand panel.
- Select the reset and cleanup option.
- Click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) How do I permanently turn off trending searches on Google?
Answer: Go to Google.com, go to settings, find the option Autocomplete with trending searches and select Do not show popular searches.
Q #2) Why am I seeing trending searches on Google?
Answer: Google offers search suggestions based on trending queries. If the option for Autocomplete with trending searches is turned on in your browser, you will see these suggestions in your Google search.
Q #3) How do I get rid of history suggestions?
Answer: Press CTRL+H simultaneously and find the suggestions you want to remove. Select the suggestions and hit delete.
Q #4) How do I get rid of trending searches in Windows?
Answer: Go to Settings on your Windows device, and go to Privacy & Security. Click on Windows Permissions and go to Search Permissions. In the More Settings option, disable “Show search highlights”.
Q #5) How accurate are Google Trends?
Answer: Very accurate, but you should keep in mind that it uses data sources from Google and hence it depends largely on how accurate Google’s data is in your case. For example, the use of Google trends for keyword research for SEO will be more accurate comparatively than using it for predicting future fads.
Sometimes Google trending searches come in extremely handy, however, they can be extremely annoying at times. This goes especially for those who have no use for trending searches. In this article, we have taken you through various steps on how to turn off trending searches on Google and what you can do if you cannot do so.
If you have no use for Google trends, turning them off will probably be the best option for you. We hope, we have been able to help you through the entire process and make it easy for you.
So, enjoy searching Google without trending searches bothering you.
Also Read =>> Top CCleaner Alternatives