This Article Explains Applications of AI, What is Fuzzy Logic, Robotics & Future of Artificial Intelligence in Fields like Automobile, Healthcare, Finance, etc:
In the previous part of this article, we have studied the definition and components of artificial intelligence in detail.
Now in this tutorial, we will emphasize the various applications of artificial intelligence in different fields with practical examples and images. We will learn in short about the fuzzy logic concept and robotics in artificial intelligence. Also, check out the future scope of artificial intelligence.
What You Will Learn:
Applications Of AI
#1) Automobile Industry
Automatic cars and race bikes are some of the best examples of AI in the field of the automobile industry. They have all the complex features present in one machine like braking, automatic change of lane while driving, collision prevention between two vehicles, navigation, etc.
The data mapping feature of AI is used here which stores the data of the route of the vehicle from which it will pass through and information about its surroundings like red lights, traffic, kind of road, street lights, etc.
It also runs an algorithm in the backend which evaluates and identifies the change in the running condition of the vehicle like in speed and surroundings and makes alteration in route thereafter for smooth operations.
#2) Healthcare Industry
MRI, CT scan, EEG, 2D, and 3D medical scans, high definition, and precise diagnostic tests are examples of AI in the medical field as they provide more efficient and accurate readings to help the doctors diagnose the disease. Thus AI has become an assistant to the doctors.
According to doctors and researchers, AI contributes to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients by suggesting the amount and frequency of medicine dosage for faster recovery.
The artificially intelligent computers and robots are also helping surgeons in carrying out major surgeries for high risk and old age patients. These robots can not only offer the right combination and dosage of medicines for patients but also assist surgeons during laparoscopic surgeries, cardiac surgeries, neural surgeries, etc.
#3) AI in Smart Phones
(i) Google Assistant: A very useful and handy feature in smartphones these days is the Google search based on voice command recognition. This is done through AI neural networks which are popularly known as Google Assistants in smartphones. When we use the voice search option or Google Assistant then Google interprets the voice commands and displays relevant results.
For example, while driving a car we need to make a call to someone. This can be done through voice command. We can make a call and simultaneously track the route to our destination through Google maps.
(ii) Intelligent Camera: These are smart phone’s camera which is built-up with very smart features these days as they are AI-enabled and have the capability of facial recognition.
The camera has the features of auto–focus, auto-brightness mode, can beautify the image (will alter and adjust the color, background, and brightness), camera night- vision mode (which can capture the clear image even in darkness), portrait mode (only focus on the object and blurred the background) and various other features.
(iii) Smart selfie-and Super-Resolution Zoom camera: Through the object recognition and neural networks processing unit of AI, the camera in smartphones is now equipped with a super-resolution zoom camera of 48 and 64 megapixels. This is applicable for both front and rear cameras and thus the pixel quality of a selfie is much improved.
(iv) Google maps in predicting traffic with AI: With the Google maps application in smartphones, one can find the shortest route to reach the destination in the shortest time. It also predicts the traffic movements and estimated time to reach the destination and provides the flexibility to alter the route.
Now in the background of this, the app computes various algorithms to find the shortest and fastest route to reach the endpoint. This also includes analyzing and decoding a very big input of raw data.
(v) Digital Wallet: The AI-enabled smartphones have applications through which they can make money transactions by scanning the QR code of the payee on the handsets and by linking their account with the mobile number. Google pay is one such application that has made the smartphone a digital wallet.
(vi) Day to day task: For example, with the smart features of AI we can use the smartphone as remote to operate our television set for changing channels, increasing volume, etc., chatting on social networking site, watching real-time video online, all can be done simultaneously without any interruption or interference among applications.
#4) AI in Social Networking
(i) LINKEDIN: This site utilizes the machine learning algorithms to find a candidate for recommending the jobs which will match the candidate’s profile and expectations. It helps both the candidate and the employer to get the best suitable job and to hire the right candidate respectively.
(ii) FACEBOOK FACIAL RECOGNITION: We all are familiar with Facebook. There are various attractive features available on Facebook. One of them is to tagging our friends when we post some pictures.
When we try to tag our friends, Facebook itself recommends the names to tag our friends by recognizing the faces of friends with the use of artificial neural networks.
Facebook also uses AI to display advertisements, live updates, social activities according to the interest of the user based on history pattern.
(iii) INSTAGRAM: In context to other very popular networking sites, Instagram uses machine learning to recognize the relative meaning of emojis (for example, thumps up emoji can be a replacement for well done).
The AI deploys various algorithms to recognize the emotions behind the emojis and thus the site will suggest and create hashtags emojis. This seems a small application but this is trending a lot these days.
With the application of AI on managing, handling, and storing big data, one can handle accounts on different networking sites with just one unique username and password. This makes it simple to share the same post, status, live stories, and photos simultaneously on multiple networking sites, Instagram, and Facebook account by selecting the option of share story.
(iv) YOUTUBE: Since Youtube is associated with Google, so depending on the user’s likings and history of Google search, Youtube will suggest the videos and audios to the user to watch and also regularly displays new videos of one’s likings.
This is all done by pattern recognition and deep learning process as the AI will collect the user data from history and analyze it, then will give the matching outputs.
#5) AI in online shopping
We all have purchased various products from online shopping websites. One of the most visited sites for online shopping all over the world is Amazon. Now, when you search for something to purchase in the search box of the website, it shows the list of items that are related to your search query.
Without artificial intelligence, it is very difficult to select the items of one’s choice for purchase from the available list of hundreds of results. The whole process was very time consuming and confusing. But the adoption of artificial intelligence technology by the online shopping website has made it a boon for both consumers and retailers.
Artificial neural networks are used by the websites to display and suggest all these recommendations, new launch products, and highlight or deal of the day.
Various features these sites offer after integration with artificial intelligence are shown with the help of the below chart.
- Voice assistance: The consumers having smartphones and tablets are equipped with voice assistance tools that can buy the product just by giving the voice command: ‘hey, phone please buys this product for me’.
- Customer-centric visual search: The AI here deploys natural language processing to get appropriate search results which should match the search query. This helps the user shop exactly for what he/she is looking for. Through deep learning, the AI provisions the visual search results to the users on the site.
- Chatbots: The availability of chatbots round the clock on the e-commerce sites makes it easy for first-time users to purchase the items as they can communicate with the representatives via chat or phone call. Using Chatbots, shoppers can get solutions to their queries every time.
- Provision recommendations to Customer: An AI-enabled website collects all the data for items searched by the user. This includes the history of search logs, likes, dislikes, and other information related to a user. Then it runs an algorithm to predict the recommendations for the user based on his search behavior and pattern.
- Provide Sale Information: Whenever there is a sale or suitable offers for the items the user is looking for or interested in, the site will float messages and e-mails to the user about it so that they can make the best use of it.
- Enhance Cybersecurity: Through the deep learning algorithms of the AI, the e-commerce site owners can keep the database of the user safe from cybercrime and viruses.
#6) AI in Finance and Banking
The finance sector is deploying Artificial Intelligence to manage online transactions security issues, detect fraud cases, and to invest in stocks and manage its infrastructure.
Artificial neural networks are used to manage online transaction security issues and also to supervise financial services. They can deal with the big database of banks and generate the desired output as required by the banks by using the software tools.
- Trade and Share market: After the launch of AI in the market of the finance sector, the online fraud cases of banking and share market sector have reduced to a great extent by the use of pattern recognization. Now the customers are displaying more interest and trust in online transactions and sell and purchase of shares. Algo trading tools have become very popular among trade systems globally.
- Claim management: Machine learning and deep learning are used to manage the claim reimbursement processes of the finance sector by using algorithms based on client data, cost of the claim, and other inputs. This will identify false claim cases and reduces overall project costs.
- Smart banking: The artificial intelligence-enabled banking services provisions solution and platform to solve all the several kinds of customer queries and provide them the final desired outcome. It also provides mobility to the customer to perform analysis and e-commerce in parallel. The task was inclusive of transfer funds, loans, credits, and deposits.
- Research and Market Intelligence: By using the machine learning the finance companies can perform marketing of their products like insurance, loans, credit cards, etc. to the suitable user and suggest the same to them. Also by using AI the companies can research and analyze the market trend and needs of the user and for their company growth.
Fuzzy Logic In Artificial Intelligence
The fuzzy logic systems generate the logical output in reply to the uncertain, messy, deform, and incomplete fuzzy inputs.
The artificial intelligent fuzzy logic is a process of reasoning for a problem that looks like human reasoning. The approach will be the replica of the way the human will make the decision and should involve all prospects of the problem with the digital output of YES and NO.
The basic logic system is an n-valued logic system that applies the scale of the state of inputs and in response give outputs based on the state of input and degree of change of these states. (as TRUE or FALSE on the other hand, for human understanding the output are YES or NO or partially YES or NO).
Thus the inventor of the fuzzy logic systems has included all possible logic of inputs in the system to generate the definite output.
Fuzzy Logic: certainly YES, partially No, can’t say, Maybe Yes, etc. (maybe 1 or between 0.1 to 0.9)
They help in dealing with uncertainty in electronic devices, automobile operations, and small micro-controllers, etc.
Fuzzy Logic System Architecture
It consists of four main components:
- Fuzzification Module: It converts the input which is in the form of ambiguous numbers into the numerical value fuzzy sub-sets which are logically divided based on a pre-defined set of rules. It also converts the error signals and other raw inputs into a fuzzy subset which comprises the range of the interval of input values and membership functions which elaborates the probability of degree of the input values.
- Rules Counter: It saves the IF-Then-Else-Yes-No i.e. types of rules into it as provided by the specialist and the membership functions.
- Intelligence Module: It reproduces the human reasoning logic by making a fuzzy inference based on Fuzzy module inputs and pre-defined rules.
- Defuzzification Module: It converts the fuzzy output which has come from the intelligence module into a brisk value output.
Membership Function: It is a generic value function and a part of the fuzzy subset function and both of the generic functions and fuzzy function value are part of the universal set of the function value.
The membership function is a graphical denotation of the fuzzy set. The memberships function allocated are based on the supposition of the outputs which is derived by taking reference from the rate of change of inputs.
Applications Of Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy logic is used to control
- The operations of the automatic and semi-automatic home appliances such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave oven, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Different environmental conditions like heater operations, air-purifiers, etc.
- Operations of the automobiles like four-wheeler cars and racing bikes and cars.
- Operations of electronic goods like digital cameras, still cameras, smart television, photocopy machine, printing machine, etc.
- The mathematical perception of the inputs along with the graphical notation makes the analysis easier for obtaining meaningful output.
- We can modify the artificial fuzzy logic according to our requirements by adding or deleting rules which make its function flexible.
- It also synthesis the inputs having the error, distorted and ambiguous data.
- It provisions a significant solution to a complex input problem which is similar to the quality of humans to provide sensible reasoning and decision making for complex issues.
- The accuracy rate is not very high.
- The fuzzy logic output can only be understood when they provide simple output. When they provide complex outputs, then they became very difficult to analyze.
- The approach for obtaining results is asymmetric.
Robotics In Artificial Intelligence
Robots are the artificially intelligent machines that behave as intelligent humans in the real-world. The basic objective of any kind of robot is to minimize the human efforts to perform a given task repeatedly based on the given set of properties on which they have been skilled and programmed.
Robotics is a sub-field of artificial intelligence that consists of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer programming for construction and designing of robots so that they can behave like intelligent machines.
The artificial intelligence provisions the computer vision to the robots to navigate, perceive and compute their response accordingly. The robots perform the tasks assigned to them by humans by the machine learning process which is a component of the AI-based on the predefined rules and programs.
This kind of AI will support robots to perform their tasks independently without human supervision. Thus the humanoid robots are created which can independently sense their surroundings and respond to them accordingly.
Through the support of strong AI, the robots are designed to perform one specified task repeatedly and accurately and these are used for business purposes to perform the heavy task in an industrial area also known as industrial robots.
Components Of Robots
- Power Supply: The robots run on batteries which can be solar, hydraulic or pneumatic sources of energy.
- Actuators: These will convert the input signal into the mechanical movement.
- AC or DC motors: The task of motors is to provide the energy for the movement of the robots in different directions. The ultrasonic motors are also a part of robots but they are not basic components as they are not used everywhere for construction.
- Muscle wires: These will carry the electric current and when a robot is on movement then current will pass through them and these wires will contract by 5 to 10% because of current flow.
- Pneumatic air muscle: When the robot will make the mechanical movement, the air is inhaled by the muscle which will contract its muscle by 40%.
- Sensors: The sensors will provide the input to the robots to perform the task in the given environment. They have the vision sensors through which they can visualize and compute the depth of the surrounding condition for operation.
Apart from these basic components, based on the application for which a robot is to be used, it can be customized likewise and other parts can also be added and can be programmed.
Applications Of Robotics
- In the industrial sector, the robots are used to perform heavy tasks like welding, cutting iron and other heavy metals, drilling, coloring, and lifting heavy material. With the association of artificial intelligence with robots, the execution of the task has become more accurate and enhanced.
- In the field of space research and science, the AI robots are sent to various area of the universe to find out the unknown and miserable facts about the universe which humans can’t do alone.
- For the exploration purpose like rock climbing, calculating the age of any planet, etc. the AI robotics is used.
- The robots are developed whose body structure resembles that of the human body as it has the two arms, two legs, head and features like humans, and is known as humanoid robots. These robots help to study the human brain and body mechanics of the human system. Thus they will help in providing the solution for health problems related to the nervous system and other vital organs.
- The humanoid robots also perform the daily routine household tasks like washing utensils, cleaning the house, risky jobs like lifting heavy objects and material, etc, as they are programmed to complete the assigned tasks by using various equipment and tools.
- The artificial intelligent machines can also entertain us like humans as the robot named Ursula which is a female robot, can play music, sing-song, and dance like a common human.
- The robot Sophia is the first robot who got the citizenship of Saudi Arabia. She can recognize and express more than 60 types of facial expressions.
Future Of Artificial Intelligence
#1) Self-Driven Vehicles: Partially automated vehicles have been launched in various countries but still, they need a driver on the steering to operate the car. Therefore there is a lot to discover and implement in the automated cars and vehicles to make them fully automated and driverless. The U.S. Department of Transportation is working on the technology to make fully automatic buses, taxis, and trucks by incorporating artificial intelligence.
#2) AI in Cybernetics Science: By incorporating robotics and artificial intelligence together, scientists are working on developing human bodies with enhanced body strength in terms of immunity, strength, and longevity. This will directly help humans who are physically or mentally disabled.
For example, cybernetics is working on developing an artificial limb which will help the paralyzed human to live a better life and do their work on their own efficiently by communicating with the brain.
#3) AI in healthcare: The WHO is working on providing AI-powered predictive care to the patients by 2030. The predictive analysis will assist the patient to understand the risk of a certain disease to which he/she can be prone to and suggests preventive measures based on individual lifestyle, eating habits, age, and medical history. This will also help in preventing and reducing the rate of many commonly spread diseases such as seasonal flu.
Many countries are also developing AI-enabled robotic nurses who can care for the patients more efficiently than the human and will also minimize the rate of human error.
#4) AI in Education: The e-learning market is increasing very rapidly which offers both the students and teachers a better and wider experience. The AI-enabled software and applications have been built through which the students sitting in remote areas can also learn and interact with the teachers.
The researchers are working on developing AI-enabled tutors who will be available round the clock to students to answer their queries and provide real-time solutions to the students. Such tutors will also be able to teach disabled students through e-learning.
#5) Decision making support system: The fuzzy logic system is capable of giving solutions to complex problems that are based on non-linear unstructured data inputs. They respond more logically and linearly as compared to human’s response on the same. This feature is applicable in various fields of the banking and finance sector to decide on the queries of some very complex situations.
In this article, we have discussed various applications of artificial intelligence in different fields like automobile, healthcare, and finance industry. We have also explored its contribution and significance in our daily lives such as in smartphones and social networking.
Next, we explained the fuzzy logic systems and robotics along with the future aspects of artificial intelligence.
To sum up this tutorial and the previous, we have learned the basic definition, components, sub-fields, and applications of the artificial intelligence and significance of AI-powered machines in our lifestyle.