ISTQB Advance Level (CTAL) – Test Analyst Sample Paper
ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst Exam Sample Questions with Answers for practice.
You are the Test analyst of a project which creates application for “Woodpecker airlines”. The application deals with the flight reservation system. The application enters all the details from the user including their date of travel, number of people boarding, number of children (if any) boarding and their preferred timings. Based on the data entered by the user the system searches for the appropriate flights and lists them as per the criteria chosen by the user.
The project works on the Agile model and follows a 30 days sprint cycle. The user stories are complimented with requires screen shots. The risks are already identified by the product owners along with other stake holders and are listed accordingly with the user stories. As a Test analyst, what will be your strategy for overall testing? Select the best option.
- Analyze the user stories, Identify the test conditions, Identify the testing types, identify the test cases and map it to the risks to mitigate it.
- Analyze the user stories, Identify the test conditions, along with the test conditions for risk mitigation, Select test case design technique to ensure maximum coverage and identify the test cases
- Analyze the risks, create the test conditions, create the risk mitigation test cases and create metrics to ensure greater coverage.
- Select the test case design techniques, create high level test cases and map it to appropriate risk and assign it to testers.
A Test Analyst should work with Test manager to Identify 3 tasks
- Plan to test documentation
- Doing and review estimation.
- Assigning the test cases to testers
- Taking up daily meetings with the testing team
- Plan for configuration testing
- Reviewing the work done by testers.
Answer: A, B, E
Analyzing the test basis and identifying the test conditions, comes under which phase of test life cycle? Select 1 option
- Test Planning
- Test Analysis
- Test Design
- Test monitoring and Control
Which statement is true about Logical test cases? Select 1 option
- Logical test cases are used when requirements are well defined.
- Logical test cases provide excellent reproducibility
- Logical test cases provide guidelines for what should be tested.
- Logical test cases require a good amount of maintenance.
You are the Test Analyst of a project which is automating the loan process of farmers. There are 2 teams. Team “Tiger” and Team “Lion”. Team tiger has a mixture of domain experts and QA. The team is very well versed with the domain and even the QA people have a good domain expertise. Team “tiger” only lacks in QA technical knowledge. They are not aware of the testing processes and strategy. On the other hand, Team “Lion” has a very good technical expertise but they are not well versed with the domain.
You are now asked to help the 2 teams to plan for their test strategy. Which would be the best strategy you will suggest?
- For team Tiger, test case should be written in Concrete level and for team lion, test cases should be written in logical manner.
- For team Tiger, Test cases should be written in logical manner and for team Lion, test cases should be written in concrete manner.
- For both the teams, test cases should be written in logical manner.
- For both the teams, test cases should be written in concrete manner.
- For both the team, a combinational design technique should be used to include the best features of concrete and logical test case writing.
There are 5 dimensions in which the progress of testing is measured. Select any three from the below options.
- Product risks
- Risk Items mitigated
- Defects closed
Answer: A, B, C
“Test Analyst contributes to understanding the potential business impact of the problem should it occur.”
Select the 4 factors which may influence the business risks:
- Loss of customers
- Too many defects in production
- Safely and licensing issue
- Resources not available for fixing critical production defect
- Test environment not available
- Negative publicity which results from some feature implemented.
Answer: A, C, F, G
Which of the following statements (select 2) is the best regarding prioritizing the tests.
- A Test analyst should wait for the UAT results to prioritize the tests
- A Test Analyst should work with the domain experts to get the subset of test data for the test cases.
- A Test Analyst should map the test cases with the priority pf the risks. High risk items should be taken care of first and move towards the lower risks.
- A Test Analyst should use the past experience to prioritize the tests and identify the test cases which maps to those risks.
Answer: B, C
As a Test Analyst, you are in the process of designing and suggesting the testing techniques for an application which involves testing of input fields with lots of input parameters. Which Testing technique will you suggest to your team to ensure good coverage?
- Equivalence partitioning
- Cause and effect graph technique
- Combinational test design technique
- Decision table technique
- Use case Testing
Which of the following statement about Cause and effect Graph is not true?
- A Cause and effect graph shows the relationship between the input and output conditions
- A Cause and effect graph uses logical notations to represents
- A Cause and effect graph is time consuming and is not used that frequently.
- A Cause and effect graph is always followed by Decision Table.
You are the Test analyst of a project which creates software for a local university. The application includes registration process, library management, canteen management, exam management and leave management. Since the development is at starting phase, you and your team are going through all the paper documents to understand the system and drawing your test designs and conditions.
Presently the system is at the execution mode and you realize that it is at a very bad shape. Lots of defects are detected as well as requirements are not free zed.You are in the middle of analyzing the test log of an application.
(Click on image to enlarge)
You discussed with the domain expert and they said ER001 is expected result. So based on the logs and your discussion with the domain expert, what will be your next step pf action? Select 1
- Review the Failed test case
- Escalate the matter that the requirements are not clear and pause your testing to have clear understood of the requirement
- Update TC02 with the correct expected result and along with your team update all the test cases which are dependents on TC02
- Update test case 2 and ask the team to re execute it.
Which of the following statement (select 2) best describe that the Requirement is not testable?
- User should be taken to the landing page when all the entries are valid.
- Application should be user friendly
- User should be able to select the respective features as per the detailed design document based on the authentication and authorization attributes.
- User should get an information message if he / she try to download a file of huge size.
- Application should render an error message if more than 100 concurrent user logs in
Answer: B, D
A defect is classified into various entities in initial stage like phase, activity, environment, symptom, cause of defect. What further classification of defect can be possible once the defects are investigated? Select best 2
- Corrective action
- Root cause
- Type / Source
- Test case
Answer: B, C
What would you suggest to your team to do to determine what caused the error?
- Defect Analysis
- Design Reviews
- Going through the logs
- Root cause analysis
As a Test Analyst of a project which develops application for a local university. The application is developed based on the SCRUM methodology. You are required to design the automation frame work for the application using Selenium web driver. What are the factors you will consider when implementing a test execution automation project.
- Test execution automation can be more cost-effective than manual testing for large data input.
- Direct tester involvement in test execution may be reduced, resulting in less defect detection
- Automation will be a onetime effort which would time consuming but will yield better results in future
- All the above.
As per the syllabus, test design techniques are classified into which categories?
- Specification / defect / experience
- Static / dynamic
- Functional / non functional
- Verification / validation