Bugzilla is a open-source Bug tracking tool. Many companies are using this open source tool for managing the software development process.
After a long break finally Bugzilla project announced a new version of bugzilla 3.0 with some cool features like:
mod_perl support for greatly-improved performance
Create and Modify Bugs by Email.
See the features in detail here.
I am using Bugzilla 2.0 for the last one year and found it as an interesting bug tracking tool. Before this I was using Mercury Test director to track the bugs.
Now we will also upgrade to this new version soon and will enjoy the new features.
You can download the new version at Bugzilla 3.0 download.
Bugzilla is defect/bug tracking tool. Defect tracking systems allow developers and testers to track all the outstanding defects. Bugzilla can be linked to other testing tools like JIRA,QC or ALM etc. Bugzilla is developed in Perl and runs on MYSQL server.
Some of the important Features of Bugzilla:
- Search option with advanced features
- Email notifications for any changes in bug report
- History of all the changes
- Can link different defects for tracking purpose
- Attachment support
- A stable backend system to store and retrieve all the data
- Various interfaces like Web and console
- Customizable user interface
- Many configuration options useful for project
- Easy and stable upgrade and maintenance
Bugzilla System Requirements
Bugzilla is a freeware and the installation includes certain procedure. It basically requires:
- Database Engine (MySQL,Postgre SQL. Oracle)
- Webserver (Any webserver that can run CGI scripts)
- Bugzilla Files
- Perl Modules
- Mail Transfer Agent
Logging into Bugzilla
In this article we will consider Landfill which is a demonstration site for Bugzilla. Navigate to Bugzilla.
The Welcome page will look as below:
(Note: Click on any image for enlarged view)
If you are first time user then click on Open a New Account
Enter the email id with which you want to login and click send. A confirmation mail will be sent
Click on the link in the mail to continue setting the password
Enter the password and click on Create. You will be automatically logged in and the page is displayed as below
This is your Home page. Let us know look into the icons present in the Home page viz File a Bug, Search, User Preferences and Quick Search.
File a Bug
1) Click on File a Bug icon and the page will navigate to
In this page we can see all the products classification headers that are available to the user.
2) Now click on All link. This will show you all the products that are present in each of the classification headers.
3) Now click on the product in which you want to log a bug. In this article we will consider Food Replicator product from the Unclassified header.
The user is now in Enter Bug for FoodReplicator screen
The fields that are present in the default bug screen are:
- Product – Which we selected in the previous page
- Component – Each product can be split into one or more components based on the use or functionality etc.
- Version – Version of the product in which the bug was detected
- Reporter – Email id of the person logging the bug
- Severity – Severity of the bug
- Hardware and OS – Machine details from which bug is logged
- Summary – To provide summary for the bug
- Description – A complete description on the bug
- Add an Attachment – To provide any supporting file as attachment
- Submit a Bug – To submit the bug and create a Bug ID
Now let us see what fields are present in the Advanced view. Click on Show Advanced Field Link in the screen.
As seen in the screen above you can provide all these extra information in your bug.
Possible Duplicates: Let is revert back to our default page and type in “test” in the summary text box. Now Bugzilla fetches you any possible duplicate defects that are associated with the Summary that we typed in.
Now click on Add me to the CC List. It will open the bug details along with who all are present in the mailing list for the bug.
No Duplicates: Enter the details for the bug and click Submit Bug
Now let us see the Search icon in the Home page
Status – Provide bug status
Product – In which product-component it is present
Words – any particular string to search
Click on Search. It will populate all the results for the search criteria mentioned
Now when we scroll down to bottom there is an option to Remember this search criteria
Provide your search name and click on Remember Search
When you go back to the Home page the search that we saved is reflected in the My Bugs section
There are lot of search criteria to filter out in Bugzilla. Each of the sections are shown below in the Advanced Search option.
Exporting the Data from Bugzilla
You can export the search results from Bugzilla CSV or XML formats.
There are many customizations that can be done in Bugzilla.
Email Preference – Here user can set any notifications emails that one wants to receive
Saved Searches – Here we can access the searches that have been saved by the user.Also we can use the other saved searches present in the particular Bugzilla server
Account Information – To manage the account’s password information
Permissions– Gives details about what are the permissions available for the user logged into the system
Bugzilla has a lot of filter options using which we can generate customized reports.
The fields that are present in the generating a report are
- Vertical Axis – Any field that is represented along your Y axis
- Horizontal Axis – Any field that is represented along your X axis
- Multiple Tables – Defines how the report generated will be grouped
Let us generate a report and see how Bugzilla interprets the options
Now, give the values in Vertical Axis -Assignee,Horizontal Axis-Bug ID field and Multiple tables-Status
Enter some string for the search and click on Generate Report.
The report generated looks like
So the report is grouped based on the field specified in the Multiple Tables field and respective X and Y axis has been populated.
Now in the bottom of the page there are option for the user to view the same report in Bar chart,Line Chart or a CSV format report
Also the user can save the report using the Remember Report option at the bottom of the page
Enter a report name and click on Remember Report
The report gets reflected on the home page
Bugzilla User Guide
Application screenshots from – https://landfill.bugzilla.org